Restaurant Trends June 2023
US Quick-Service Sales & Traffic Performance
QSR US traffic decreased by -1.7% YOY compared to last year, though slightly up from last month, when traffic was down -1.9% YOY.
Average price increased by +9.6% YOY, a lesser increase than last month (+10.6% YOY), confirming that pricing activity is slowing down compared to 2022. We expect this trend to continue as brands focus on communicating value proposition amid inflation and slowing traffic.
Breakdown of Monthly QSR Performance Trends
The following is a snapshot of US Quick-Service Restaurant (QSR) trends for May 2023.
When compared to May 2022:
- Net sales remain positive at +3.7% YOY.
- Traffic is down -1.7%. Sales continue to be driven by average check increases (+5.5% YOY).
- • QSR average price increased by +9.6% YOY.
- Quantity per transaction decreased by -3.7% YOY indicating that consumers are ordering fewer items to spend less.
- Dinner continues to outperform other dayparts. Traffic is up +0.3% YOY.
- Breakfast performance is down -2.2% compared to last year, and lunch is down -3.5% YOY.
QSR Revenue Channels
- Dine-in remains the top-performing channel, up +20.0% YOY in May 2023.
- Despite possible service and fee costs, delivery traffic is up +14.6% YOY.
- Takeout (+14.4%) performed positively YOY.
- Drive-thru traffic is down -8.1% YOY.
Your Restaurant Customers Already Dropped By—For a Virtual Visit
Today’s customer is just a click away from discovering your restaurant. Embracing digital avenues will open opportunities to drive traffic and attract customers. Learn where and how your customers find you online, what factors influence the restaurant choices and more in Danny Klein’s latest article in FSR Magazine, featuring RMS insights.
Digital Dining: What Restaurants Need to Know Now
Mobile apps and loyalty programs can be a recipe for restaurant success in the digital era. In our latest consumer report, 80% of frequent users (those ordering from restaurants more than five times a week) said they have at least two restaurant apps on their phones. But why does this matter to your bottom line? RMS’ Jana Zschieschang provides insights on how customers leverage restaurant technology and how brands can harness its power to attract and retain frequent guests. Check out the Modern Restaurant Management article to learn more.
RMS is ready to support restaurant brands through ever-changing times. Reach out to us today for practical strategies to optimize your menu profitability, sales and financial health.